Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'M BACK

I haven't been here for a while.

My last entry was about my new job. That is going much better since I wrote. I feel like I know what I am doing,now, sort of. The change has definitely been a good thing for me. I never knew it was possible to actually like a job and not mind going to work as much. I still would rather stay home to work on the other interests I have--my 2 businesses for one, school for two and then all the fun stuff I like to do--sewing and crafts and reading, reading reading. I really, really miss not being able to spend as much time reading. I could plow through my Mary Higgins Clark or Carol Higgins Clark books in just a few days. And I have so many other books/authors I have discovered and can get through those books in a few days, too. But, alas, I have to work. I have to admit, the 2nd income does help pay for all the "stuff" I love--shopping, travel, our remodeling projects and new furniture--but I still would rather be home full time. I will be just as soon as my 2 other businesses start earning the same or more income than I make now.

Anyway, I do feel better about the job now. I am just doing the computer work now and I love that. I like the person I work for and my co-workers.

So, as long as I have to keep working, at least I'm much happier in this new job--I don't have the same dread each day as I drive to work.

It's funny how things work. At first I thought the worst thing in the world was to lose the other job. And then this new job turned out to be so much better that losing the other one wasn't a bad thing--it was the right thing.

And then, back at the end of September, we had a terrible storm roll through. A leftover hurricane. It rained and rained and rained. I never saw that much rain. They said it would stop by noon, but what they really meant is it would stop by three in the morning the next day--because it was closer to that when it finally stopped. Bob stayed home that day, working, and using the wet/dry vac with the other, keeping the water out of our room.

That was a Thursday, September 30th. Bob and I get every other Friday off, and so when we woke up on Oct. 1st it was a completely different day. The rain had finally stopped in the middle of the night. The sun was shining, the birds were singing--it was going to be a beautiful day.

Or so I thought. I did my usual morning routine--exercised then got showered and dressed, had breakfast. Then I checked my email and everything came to a halt.

I had an email from my sister saying that Mom had a major heart attack in the teeny tiny hours of the morning--a little past 3 am--right around the same time our rain was finally stopping.

She was in the hospital and things did not look good. But, that was impossible, I thought to myself--it was Mom, after all, and she had to pull through--she always did.

She had survived breast cancer-twice, skin cancer, and a variety of other health problems. She had such a positive attitude about life that no matter what she was dealt, she dealt it right back and it was gone.

But that was not meant to be this time.

So, as the news unfolded, we learned that our brother, Roger, who was at the house, heard the Lifeline operator say they had received the emergency phone call. Roger raced down the stairs and found our Mom in her chair, not feeling well. She told Roger she thought she was having a stroke.

He went to the hospital with her and sat with her while they prepped her for a CAT scan so they could see if she did have the stroke. While they were doing that, she had a major heart attack and never regained consciousness.

All us kids started traveling north, because news was not good and we expected the worst.

My Mom passed away on October 5th.

I love you and miss you SO much, Mom.

It has taken a while to adjust and I guess I will never totally adjust to life without my Mom. But, each day it does get a little easier.

I hope the holidays won't be too hard on my Dad--my Mom's b'day is/would have been Dec. 27th. They were married 54 years.

Life is too short. Way, way too short. And the years are flying by too quickly for me.

No comments: